Monday, February 1, 2016

Unwrapping a Review of MY LADY, MY LORD, a Twist novel by Katharine Ashe

I’ve been a fan of Katharine Ashe’s wonderful historical romances for a long time. I also know she’s always wanted to try something different…well, in MY LADY, MY LORD, she does just that.

***copy purchased for my own reading but sharing an honest and unscripted review.

Blurb for MY LADY, MY LORD:

Book #1 in a new series of historical romances...with a twist.

The Bluestocking
Lady Corinna Mowbray has three passions: excellent books, intelligent conversation, and disdaining the libertine Earl of Chance.
The Rake
Lord Ian Chance has three pleasures: beautiful women, fast horses, and tormenting high-and-mighty Corinna Mowbray.
Neighbors for years, they've been at each other's throats since they can remember. But when a twist of fate forces them to trade lives, how long will it be before they discover they cannot live without each other?

~*~             ~*~            ~*~           ~ * ~

Lady Corinna Mowbray and Lord Ian Chance have known each other since childhood, and not with a particularly friendly demeanor between them. Corinna’s pet name for Ian seems to be cretin and she cannot resist responding to him with cutting gibes no matter the conversation. She criticizes him for everything including his looks, and company he keeps. She might be willing to concede that Ian is handsome and wealthy but she also thinks him unintelligent, dissolute, and unworthy of her time or attention. In return, Ian thinks of Corinna as snobbish, cold, conceited, and self-centered with nothing but scorn for others. However, he seems to live for the chance to goad her.

Personally, methinks they both doth protest too much.

Katharine always surprises me and she certainly did with the twist in this story. There is no better way for someone to understand another person’s existence than to walk a mile in that person’s shoes. I won’t say anything more because I don’t want to spoil the story for you but it was truly well done even if possibly a more modern trope than usually used in a historical romance. But that being said, this story is worth reading, especially if you love the unusual when it comes to a more traditional genre of romance.

The banter between Corinna and Ian is wonderful. From a female point of view, Ian is definitely more interested than he puts on, giving over to that typical male pose of I’m going to make you want me just so I can tell you, no. After all, for him, every woman is worth conquering in bed…including Corinna. But Corinna is a stubborn one and so gives as good as she gets. She’s rather caustic at times and I had to admit to wanting to ask her to please give the guy a break. She comes very close to lowering herself to Ian’s level a few times slinging barbs in a most unladylike manner. I got a good laugh out of this several times. My favorite is at the beginning when he accuses her of actually wanting him to bed her. 



                          “I believe you have had a secret tendre for me all
                     these years. Haven’t you? Poor little Corrie. It would
                     explain your attitude of contempt, a contrivance to
                     protect your fragile self-esteem in the face of my
                     continual disinterest.”
    “My self-esteem is far from fragile, and actual contempt for you explains my attitude of contempt.”
    “I think not.”
    “Is that all you can say? You think not? Is that the extent of your ability to debate a position upon which you feel so fully secure?”
    His crystal blue eyes danced. “The only position I feel fully secure in, my dear, is atop a naked woman.”
    “You are disgusting,” she spat out.
    “And you are a cold fish.”
    “Reprobate.”
    “Bluestocking.”
    “Rogue.”
    “Prude.”
    “Dissolute.”
    “Ice queen.”
    Corinna’s head spun from the champagne. “I despise you,” she lashed out.
    “The feeling, my dear, is entirely mutual.”

Can it get any better or more sexually charged than that? But when a twist of fate, something magical, gives them each a taste of the other’s medicine, we see them both grow and become adults worthy of each other.

I do have to admit that at times, I got a bit confused about who was talking once the twist happens but I did enjoy myself, and Ian’s initial confusion was worth a good chuckle. This series sounds like fun!

I very much recommend MY LADY, MY LORD by Katharine Ashe simply because the twist in this story is so different from any historical romance I’ve seen yet. Plus…I like this kind of thing…only thing better would if they were time traveling.

Happy Reading Everyone!

MY LADY, MY LORD, a Twist novel by Katharine Ashe, Billet-Doux Books, available now in print and ebook formats at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and Kobobooks. 

 

No comments: